Fascinated about Hindustani classical music !
Do you know the basic knowledge about it?
If not , so it is not a very big topic. we are going to discuss about it in this blog.
So lets start our journey to Hindustani classical music .
🤔UNDERSTANDING of word “ CLASSICAL “
What does it mean?
For being classical:
- It should be very old and more than 500 years of history .
- The original form is still intact .
WANTED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT CLASSICAL : CLASSICAL IN DETAIL
Hindustani classical music is also one of the two parts of classical Indian music . Classical music in North India = HINDUSTANI CLASSICAL MUSIC .
AMIR KHUSRO HAS A MAJOR CONTRIBUTION IN THIS MUSIC
BASIS OF HINDUSTANI CLASSICAL MUSIC 🎙📯
There are six principle Ragas in Hindustani Music which are :
🎼COMPOSITION OF HINDUSTANI CLASSICAL MUSIC📻
There are various composition of Hindustani music . Some of them are as follows :
MOTHER OF OTHER HINDUSTANI STYLES
- Oldest of Hindustani Music
- Has a vedic origin
- Also known as a temple music . Because it has emerged from temples .
- A serious and sober composition ( serious in topic and sober in music )
- It demands efforts from lungs and vocal cards
- Theme – Religious and devotional
- Lyrics – Bhraj language
- Accompanied by : Parhawaj and Tanpura
- Gharanas – Dagari , Darbangha , Bishnupur
PERSIAN WORD WHICH MEANS IDEA , THOUGHT .
- Origin – Attributed to Khushrao
- More delicate and romantic than Dhrupad
- Has more freedom in structure and form
- Use of “ TAAN “ in music
- Equal emphasis on melody and rhythm
- Gharana – Gwalior , Kirana , Patiyala , Agra
PERFORMED DURING HOLI THAT’S WHY ALSO CALLED HOLI DHAMAR
- Quite similar to Dhrupad
- Sung on Dhamad Taal
- Theme : Krishna – Gopi affairs
- Gharana – Awadh , Bhrajh
COMPOSED FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSE
- Rhythm is important in it
- Popular among Aristrocratic class of North India
DEVELOPED BY CAMEL RIDER’S OF NORTH WEST
- This system become popular among singers of Punjab. He started to compose fast songs . It has quick turns of phrases.
CLOSELY RELATED TO THUMRI
- Originally sung on Dhadra
- Lyrics – Bhrajh or Urdu
- Topics – Mundane (very common )
ATTRIBUTED TO SUFI AND ORIGINATED BY AMIR KHUSHRAO
- It is related to God
- In UR FESTIVAL , all Sufis gathered at Dharga . They sing Qawwali there to connect with God
- Small couplets composed
INFLUENCE OF PERSIANS
- Theme – everything ( romance , sadness , devotion and so on)
- Composed as independent couplet
- Love or erotic poetry is basically an underlined sufi element .
- mythical , secular and philosophical way
- Mirza Galib was one of the famous singers in starting .
INFLUENCED BY BHKTI SAINTS OF NORTH INDIA
- Florished by Nawab Wajid Ali Shah .
- It is based on mixed ragas , light religious and romantic words
- Lyrics of text – Bhrajh bhasha
- There are two types of Thumri . First is Urbi Thumri and second is Punjabi Thumri
- Gharana- Lucknow , Banaras
SOME FAMOUS SINGERS OF HINDUSTANI CLASSICAL MUSIC 🎤🎙🎧🎶
HINDUSTANI CLASSICAL MUSIC IS SPREADING ITS BEAUTY ALL AROUND. IT IS SOULFUL AND BRINGS ENERGY IN ONE’S LIFE.
There are a lot of singers who have created history in this era .
Lets know few names :
- Miyan Tansen
- Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
- Hariprasad Chaurasia
- MS Subbulakshmi
- Bismillah Khan
- Ravi Shankar
- Zakir Hussain
- Shiv Kumar Sharma
Now lets stay tuned and explore different things in next blog.